This great recipe for whole Garfish which can either be char grilled or BBQ’d is from Ninemsm Food.
- 800 gm small sebago potatoes, sliced 5mm thick
- 150 gm (½ cup) good-quality mayonnaise
- 30 gm cornichons, coarsely chopped
- 1½ tbsp salted baby capers, rinsed and drained
- 2 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, or to taste
- 8 garfish, butterflied, head and tail intact
- 2 lemons, halved lengthways and thinly sliced crossways
- 30 ml olive oil
Quick pickled cucumber
- 1½ Lebanese cucumbers, unpeeled, halved, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp caster sugar
Method - Serves 4
Prep time 15 mins, cook 15 mins (plus standing)
Choose medium to large garfish for this recipe and ask your fishmonger to butterfly them for you, leaving the head and tail intact. King George whiting works equally well for this dish.
Combine potato in a saucepan with cold salted water, cover, bring to the boil over high heat. Uncover, cook until just tender (5-6 minutes), drain, transfer to a bowl. Combine mayonnaise, cornichons, capers, shallot and lemon juice in a separate bowl, season to taste, add to potato, toss to combine, set aside.
For quick pickled cucumber, combine cucumber and 1 tsp sea salt in a sieve, stand 10 minutes. Squeeze out liquid, combine in a non-reactive bowl with remaining ingredients, season to taste, set aside.
Preheat a char-grill over high heat. Season garfish cavities to taste, stuff with lemon slices, secure with kitchen string. Drizzle with oil, season to taste and char-grill, turning once, until golden and just cooked through (2-3 minutes each side). Serve hot with potato and caper salad and pickled cucumber.